Nov 2, 2009

World Fantasy Award Winners w/ comments


Hot off the presses, here are the 2009 World Fantasy Award winners:
  • Lifetime Achievement: Ellen Asher & Jane Yolen
  • Best Novel (tie): The Shadow Year, Jeffrey Ford (Morrow) & Tender Morsels, Margo Lanagan (Allen & Unwin; Knopf)
  • Best Novella: “If Angels Fight”, Richard Bowes (F&SF 2/08)
  • Best Short Story: “26 Monkeys, Also the Abyss”, Kij Johnson (Asimov’s 7/08)
  • Best Anthology: Paper Cities: An Anthology of Urban Fantasy, Ekaterina Sedia, ed. (Senses Five Press)
  • Best Collection: The Drowned Life, Jeffrey Ford (HarperPerennial)
  • Best Artist: Shaun Tan
  • Special Award – Professional: Kelly Link & Gavin J. Grant (for Small Beer Press and Big Mouth House)
  • Special Award – Non-Professional: Michael Walsh (for Howard Waldrop collections from Old Earth Books)

 My Thoughts: I was rooting for Daryl Gregory's Pandemonium (best book I read last year) but I can't say that The Shadow Year or Tender Morsels didn't deserve it as I haven't read them. Maybe I will need to give them a chance. I've heard a lot of good things about both Jeffrey Ford and Margo Lanagan but I have yet to read anything by them.

Also, yet another nod for Ekaterina Sedia. The Alchemy of Stone is jumping up the reading list very quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...