Jan 12, 2010

Non-Content Stuff


A few stories of interest that I saw around the interwebs today.





Over at A Dribble of Ink, Aidan has the news that Titan is publishing a Firefly short story anthology. While I think Firefly is fantastic and would have loved to have see Whedon's vision through to completion, I still have mixed feelings about this.

Part of me wants to see more of the story. Firefly is space opera done right. The other part of me doesn't need any more expanded universes. Star Wars, Star Trek, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Transformers, X-Files, Superman. The list goes on and on. As every video game, tv show, movie, novel, or comic books comes out, it becomes harder and harder to get the "full story". This is especially difficult for people like me who suffer from narrative completism (along with my biblioholism). Sufferers of this imaginary syndrome feel the need to read everything within a shared universe.

Firefly (when combined with Serenity) didn't provide all the details but it did provide an enjoyable experience, one that you could revisit in just a week or two. Feeding more story into the Firefly universe does let us see more of Mal, Jayne, and Wash but there is no guaranteeing the authors will be able to capture the same feel that Whedon and Fillion did. Consider me cautiously interested.



The second story of interest concerns Lev Grossman. Over at The Mad Hatter's Bookshelf & Book Reviews, TMH shares the news that Lev Grossman has been contracted to pen a follow up to The Magicians (2009) entitled The Magician King. I haven't read Grossman's debut yet but it is hanging around my To Read Pile. So many other people have read it that I'm hesitant to cover it here but I do want to get to it sometime soon. Congrats to Lev!



Finally, there are only 3 days left to vote in my 2010 series poll. It's just about down to Scalzi's Old Man's War sequence, Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy, or Charlie Huston's Joe Pitt Casebooks but someone could always make a surge at the end. Full details here.

1 comment:

  1. All three of those series sound familiar to me, but I just finished the first two of Scalzi's series. I'm pretty sure I read them in two days each, just plowed through them. Very enjoyable stuff. They got my vote.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...