Jan 6, 2010

Covering Covers: Tongue of Serpents (Temeraire Book 6)


Naomi Novik has posted the cover and synopsis of Temeraire Book 6, Tongue of Serpents, over on Temeraire.org




Synopsis: Exiled to Australia, Laurence and Temeraire must navigate treacherous political waters to protect three dragon eggs.

There is also an excerpt if you are interested enough. Which you should be. Cause Novik is a seriously talented writer and you know, cause, dragons are awesome, and stuff.

On the cover, I really like the stylized dragon covers clutching the orb. It sets the series apart from more cliche dragon covers. This cover is very simple but attractive. The one minor issue I have is tha I think it works better against a more colorful background. The white sand dunes in back ground wash the cover out a lot and I think I would have preferred a solid white background to the wavy dunes if the white color was a must. Books 1-4 had covers of blue, green, red, and black and they were very cohesive and unique. I am very glad they returned to the original cover style. Book 5 had a decent cover but if you have such a great look going through 4 books, why change it? And don't get me started on the paperback to hardcover nonsense...

As a final note, Novik appears to be done with Tongue of Serpents (it does come out July 13th), and that means she owes me my final Keeping An Eye On interview. Do you think you and your dragons are better than everyone else just because you write bestselling books full of fantastical adventures in exotic locations? What's so great about that?

Anyway, what do you think of this cover?

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favorite authors from a long time, my first real book was one of his.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...