Oct 13, 2009

io9 Book Club




I've got kind of a love/hate relationship with io9. On one hand, they have a lot of news, some of which is interesting. On the other hand, they steal quotes from my interviews without attribution.

That being the case, I was interested to see how their attempt at a Book Club would go. Would they only endorse books that the publishers had advertised on io9? Would they allow negative comments? Would anyone participate?

io9's first book was The Quiet War which I also recently read and reviewed. Since I had already read the book, I decided to participate. I was also interested to see what others thought as I felt there was a disconnect between the ammount of hype the book got and what I thought of it. The overwhelming consensus agreed with my review: Science good, characters bad. I wasn't missing something, the book legitimately lacked enjoyable characters/character development and people had no problem saying so.

io9 also is holding a Q/A session with McAuley himself tomorrow. There have been some pretty blatant questions about the characterization problems so I'm very interested to see what he says on that front. I myself offered a question regarding the overall scope of the series as The Quiet War felt like the first part of a bigger story rather than a stand alone novel.

Not to mention the fact that io9 stopped deleting my commments. That's at least a step in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...