Mar 19, 2012

Gollancz SF Masterworks - Late 2012 and Early 2013 Titles


The latest Gollancz catalog also included an update on their extensive SF Masterworks line.

H.G. Wells - The War of the Worlds
Pat Cadigan - Synners
Nicola Griffith - Ammonite
Karen Joy Fowler - Sarah Canary
D.G. Compton - The Continuous Katherine Mortenhoe
Mary Shelley - Frankenstein
Colin Greenland - Take Back Plenty
H.G. Wells - The Invisible Man
Russell Hoban - Riddley Walker
Connie Willis - Connie Willis Collection (hopefully to be retitled)
Eric Frank Russell - Wasp
Walter M. Miller - A Canticle for Leibowitz

An interesting mix there. On one hand, everyone is aware of Frankenstein, The War of the Worlds and A Canticle of Leibowitz. But on the other, I haven't even heard of a few of these books, much less read them.

Has anyone read Riddley Walker, Wasp, Take Back Plenty, or the wonderfully titled The Continuous Katherine Mortenhoe?

I'd be interested to hear some informed opinions.

4 comments:

  1. Some good writers there. Should be Nicola Griffith, though, as that's an odd typo you copy/pasted. Haven't read the books you inquired about, alas, but Greenland I believe is the partner of Susanna Clarke.

    So who's going to be reviewing all of these in the coming months? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Riddley Walker is a stone cold classic. Perhaps the best post-apocalypse novel ever written and one which uses language to re-programme your head.

    Take Back Plenty is a very enjoyable early example of the New Space Opera. One of those books, along with Banks, that paved the way for the boom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto on the deep love of Riddley Walker. I own three different editions of it. And I'm delighted to see Ammonite on the list, even though I like Slow River better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Larry, I'll fix that. I was transcribing from the low res cover images in the PDF. And let's not talk about my SFF Masterworks failings.

    @Martin - That's some high praise, I collect all the SFF Masterworks so I'll be sure to pick these up.

    @Daniel - Two votes for Riddley? Going to definitely need to check that out.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...