Jan 22, 2012

Epically ConFused...


Much to the surprise of my Wednesday self, on Friday night I found myself braving the treacherous winter conditions en route to Detroit, MI to attend Epic ConFusion - my first ever con.
I really didn't know what to expect except that I would probably see a great line up of authors. Big names like Patrick Rothfuss, Joe Abercrombie, and John Scalzi as well as a few newer authors that I've chatted with including Saladin Ahmed, Kameron Hurley, Bradley Beaulieu, Myke Cole, Douglas Hulick. Throw in a few more-established favorites like Tobias Buckell, Jay Lake, Peter V. Brett, and  Brent Weeks and I couldn't not go. Plus this guy was going to be there.


As it turns out, the line-up and the winter storms combined to make for an incredible weekend. For every author that was there, there were ten fans that weren't, resulting in what had to be a 2:1 author to fan ratio. I couldn't stumble across the bar without falling into one of my favorite authors and every one of them was more than willing to sit down and have a drink or a bite to eat. I could go on and on but I don't think I could it justice. Here's a brief rundown of the things I learned this weekend:

  • Joe Abercrombie apparently refers to playing Skyrim as "writing RED COUNTRY." He's about 80% done.
  • As far as epic duels go, none would be as epically epic as a cute-off between Rothfuss's rugrat and the Buckell twins. If such an event were to occur, civilization as we know it would cease to exist.
  • One Cthulu is terrifying. Two Cthulu is barely comprehensible. An overweight woman wearing two stuffed Cthulu's as a bra and little else? THE HORROR. THE HORROR.
  • 100% of the women polled agreed that Joe Abercrombie was sexier than China Mieville. On a related note, while I listened to him give a Gaiman-caliber reading from THE HEROES, my wife watched him say something in a Britishy accent - she's not quite sure what.
  • A prophecy was spoken - 2013 will bring the reign of the Mormish One, who promises blood and guns and magic. More on this when things are officially announced.
  • Peter V. Brett believes its okay to comment on reviews. Except in the case of those posted on Staffer's Musings - Justin is huge and will kick your ass.
  • If Douglas Hulick is the Peter Mayhew of the SFF world, Myke Cole is the Kenny Baker.
  • John Scalzi is an ARC troll. He paraded his newly printed copy of REDSHIRTS around like a 2001 third grader with a Charizard foil card. I was sorely tempted to steal it from him when he let me hold it but my ethical side prevailed. (Okay, his wife might have tackled me when I was running from the room.) The prologue he read at his panel was incredible. When can I haz?
  • Saladin Ahmed inexplicably has an inferiority complex. THRONE OF THE CRESCENT MOON might only be 300 pages of words but it contains 600 pages worth of awesome.
  • The only thing cooler than having a book signed by an author is having a book signed by an author twice. Apparently, I grabbed the wrong copy of GOD'S WAR off the book shelf...luckily Kameron Hurley is awesome.
  • Joe Abercrombie is an Arkansawyer, a shameless self-promoter, and a huge fan of Two Truths and a Lie. This is not always popular.
  • There appears to be a correlation between authors who are very successful and authors who focus on story before world building.
  • Patrick Rothfuss's beard is to quiet contemplative brillance what Samson's locks were to strength. Hopefully his legend will end with all involved structures fully intact.

All in all - I laughed, I cried, I saw things I can never unsee, and I met some people I look forward to seeing again. Epic ConFusion lived up to its name and then some.

8 comments:

  1. I am so insanely jealous. Glad you guys had such a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did Scott Lynch show up like he was expected to? Any word on Republic of Thieves?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can concur, Joe Abercrombie is sexier than China Mieville.

    and YES, there was word of Republic of Thieves. This year for sure, possibly June. We get to meet Sabetha, and get to see the Sanza twins again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the update redhead. I personally didn't ask Scott Lynch about Republic of Thieves. I figured it was a topic he was tired of talking about. Not to mention the fact that I don't think he was on any of the panels I attended and I don't remember seeing him around the convention except for the autograph session.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He brought it up right away during the reading he did with Elizabeth Bear on Saturday night, and then I saw him at a few more panels on Sunday.

      I think everyone (myself included) was pretty nervous to ask him any pointed questions, about anything.

      Delete
  5. There appears to be a correlation between authors who are very successful and authors who focus on story before world building.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to say that this post is amazing, great written and include approximately all important infos. I’d like to see extra posts like this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's a competition to win advance copies of his John Scalzi's Redshirts!

    John Scalzi Redshirts Competition Upcoming4.me

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...